Tuesday, December 16, 2008

God wants true worship & He will punish the proud

So I am finally on leave for the Christmas break and my wife & I have moved our way from Pretoria towards Cape Town (SA). (if you want to check it out go to http://www.itsallaboutballs.blogspot.com). So this morning we have woken to a beautiful day in Knysna. This beautiful coastal city can only be God made. I am sitting outside on a wooden deck amongst 11 wooden houses, with a beautiful sun enhanced view of the Knysna Heads (two mountains that form the entrance way into the lagoon from the Indian Ocean.
 
So i opened my bible and opened it on Psalms 50 & 52. So I read. Here are some key aspects that were highlighted to me.
In Psalm 52 the question is asked 'Why do you brag about the evil you do?' How often do we brag? How often do I brag about things that is not because of my doing but rather through the grace of God? How often do I boast about 'my' successes? Should we not be sharing about God and what He has done for us? Yes we should. It is often so easy for us to brag about 'our things', 'our lives', 'our successes' BUT we find it difficult to brag to others about our Lord and Saviour, the one who knows everything, who created everything, the one who has a special marked out plan for each of us! The question is are we willing 'to be ruined forever' (v5) or are we willing to take up the challenge and be proud about God?
 
Linked to this I felt was Psalm 50, where we read about God wanting true worship. What is that, true worship? Well, i suppose if we think of one side, we could related it to being proud of God, being willing to brag about him. However in this psalm one thing that stood out is that it went about more than that. In verse 14-15 it reads:
"Give an offering to show thanks to God. Give God Most High what you have promised.
Call to me in times of trouble. I will save you, and you will honour me."
What does God want. He wants us to show thanks. Show thanks for what He has done for us. But more importantly, give what you promise. Don't make promises you can't keep and those you do make live up to them. What God wants and what shows him worship is calling on him when you in trouble. Call on Him during troubled times. Don't take things for granted, ask for his help and He will save us. But make sure you honour Him. By doing this we will honour God.
 
So go to Him for help and He will but go being willing to praise him.
God bless
SB

No comments:

Challenging Thought

How do I commit to spending time in God's precsence, even when i am 'busy'? What am I doing to live up to God's expectation of me?

Prayer Requests

  • Spiritually lead & focused coaches who have a critical role in the development of their athletes.
  • Athletes participating around the world in various sporting feats. That they do it not for personal clory but for glory of God
  • All soccer / football players coming to South Africa in just over a month's time for the FIFA 2010 World Cup
  • Focused Godly Athletes
  • Guidance and Grace to all Athletes on all levels in their training
  • MORE ATHLETES THROUGH THIS BLOG CAN SHARE THEIR TESTIMONIES
  • Praise God for the unbelievable performances, the dedication & perserverance of our Paralympians

Book Review Corner

We will be soon reviewing books read and share any key thoughts found and identified.

So watch this space!