Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 - an Olympic new year

So around the world everyone has moved into the year 2012. What makes this year special to us sporting 'freaks' is that the ultimate sporting event, the Olympic games, takes place again this year, with London, England, playing host. This for me as a coach is a special event, as I view it as the ultimate.

For me, my greatest dream is to be fortunate enough to be able to go to an Olympics.

Well 2012 will see athletes from around the world aiming to and eventually competing at the games. But the Olympic games has greater significance than just competing, its also what it stands for as outlined in the Olympic motto.

This morning I sent the following message to my swimmers. This is a special message directed at them. Understand though that I am coaching primarily senior age group swimmers, with many of these now breaking through into the senior ranks in terms of performance. I see each swimmer as an Olympian. Some might make it there some day, that we don't know, but what I do know is I can challenge them to be better, and especially when we move into a new year. So here it is:

"To all my amazing squad of swimmers. Here wishing you an amazing Olympic year, 2012. My prayer is that each one of us use each opportunity to make use of our God-Given talents in this year. Let's approach the year as Olympians, always striving to improve ourselves in everything we do, not only swimming. Remember the Olympic motto is Faster, Higher, Stronger. Let's become such in all we take on. May 2012 be filled with many special blessings & moments that hold memories for life. Hold family near. My prayer is that Psalm 37: 3-5
(3 Trust in the Lord, and do good;
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
4  Delight yourself in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5  Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in him, and he will act.)
holds true for each of us this year. Let's tackle it. Happy new year my Olympians. Coach S."

Does this not hold true and should hold true for each of us. So as we have moved into the Olympic year, 2012, let's make it a special one.

God Bless
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Challenging Thought

How do I commit to spending time in God's precsence, even when i am 'busy'? What am I doing to live up to God's expectation of me?

Prayer Requests

  • Spiritually lead & focused coaches who have a critical role in the development of their athletes.
  • Athletes participating around the world in various sporting feats. That they do it not for personal clory but for glory of God
  • All soccer / football players coming to South Africa in just over a month's time for the FIFA 2010 World Cup
  • Focused Godly Athletes
  • Guidance and Grace to all Athletes on all levels in their training
  • MORE ATHLETES THROUGH THIS BLOG CAN SHARE THEIR TESTIMONIES
  • Praise God for the unbelievable performances, the dedication & perserverance of our Paralympians

Book Review Corner

We will be soon reviewing books read and share any key thoughts found and identified.

So watch this space!