Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Beijing Olympics & SA Olympians

With the Beijing Olympics fast approaching, all the final loadings have taken place and the athletes (most of them) are entering into their starting phases of their tapers. The work has been done, the fine tuning is now starting and the faith in their abilities, their Faith in the plan that God has set out for them, should be growing by the minute and by the day. Man, this is such exciting times with only 17 days to the opening ceremony.

Today we say farewell to some of our SA athletes, particularly our swimming team, who depart for an acclimatisation camp in Korea from the 23rd of July to the 4th of August. So it was yesterday that with excitement, a wish I could be there and more particularly I prayer for a safe and successful journey that I said good luck and bon voyage to 3 of our Tuks swimmers. What a journey it has been, the dedication, perseverance, chats, happiness and challenges it has been over the last few months and years, to finally get to this point! I have seen the athletes grow in strength, ability and faith over the last period of time and I know that the Beijing Olympics is going to be an awesome experience for each one of them.

I have already had to say farewell to some of my other swimmers from African countries that I have been coaching (with the thought that I may never interact with them again from a coaching level was I challenge – I wont lie to you), and the final 4 depart towards the end of this week returning to their respective countries, namely Kenya, Botswana, Tanzania and Swaziland, where their respective Olympic teams will meet and depart from. What an experience this has been working with swimmers from various African countries. It has taught me much patience (particularly with the thing we call African time ;-) ), perseverance, dedication to being able to assist in optimising their talents and being the same every single time and day I interact with them.

My Pray for all these guys and all those competing in Beijing that their God given talents and gifts will be displayed and used as it was planned as part of the bigger plan.

There are a few verses I would like to dedicate to these guys. This is my prayer for them at the games. (Some of these verses I have highlighted before).

  • That they realise that, as it is written in Phillipians 4 v 13:- “I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength”

  • That if they commit everything they do to the Lord the plans, if it is His will, will be realised as it is written in Proverbs 16 v 3:- “Commit to the Lord everything you do and your plans will succeed”

  • And finally there is two separate parts I would like to bring together for them. These two are about ‘running’ or swimming the right race they will achieve the ultimate goal and crown.
    • 1 Corinthians 9 v 24-27:- “You know that in the race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize. So run to win! “All those who compete in the games use self control so they can win the crown. That crown is an earthly thing that lasts only a short time, but our crown will never be destroyed. SO I do not run without a goal. I fight like a boxer who is hitting something – not just the air. I treat my body and make it my slave so that I myself will not be disqualified after I have preached to others” (NCV).

    • 2 Timothy 4 v 6-8:- My life is being given as an offering to God, and the time has come for me to leave this life. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now, a crown is being held for me - a crown of being right with God..." This should be the ultimate goal for each one of us, to achieve the ultimate crown.

God Bless to all the Olympians

SB

No comments:

Challenging Thought

How do I commit to spending time in God's precsence, even when i am 'busy'? What am I doing to live up to God's expectation of me?

Prayer Requests

  • Spiritually lead & focused coaches who have a critical role in the development of their athletes.
  • Athletes participating around the world in various sporting feats. That they do it not for personal clory but for glory of God
  • All soccer / football players coming to South Africa in just over a month's time for the FIFA 2010 World Cup
  • Focused Godly Athletes
  • Guidance and Grace to all Athletes on all levels in their training
  • MORE ATHLETES THROUGH THIS BLOG CAN SHARE THEIR TESTIMONIES
  • Praise God for the unbelievable performances, the dedication & perserverance of our Paralympians

Book Review Corner

We will be soon reviewing books read and share any key thoughts found and identified.

So watch this space!