Monday, July 21, 2008

James - Listening and speaking

I started reading the book of James this morning. Thought I would let you know that I am excited to read this book of the bible. In glancing through it, it is based around How we are supposed to live as a Christian. Going to enjoy this one.

One of the things that stood out for me in the first chapter was about listening and obeying. In Chapter 1 verse 19 it reads “My dear brothers and sisters, always be willing to listen and slow to speak”. This is such a challenge and I often catch myself listening but not really listening because my mind is all over the place. The challenge for each one of us is to stop a minute and listen. How often do we actually not listen even though we make out as if we are. This is in all situations, whether is be listening to family, friends, colleagues, our coach, our parents and especially God. So are we really listening??? \

The next challenge set for us is that we need to listen but in particular be slow to speak. This is for me a challenge daily as when I get tied up in things and someone speaks to me I want to sort things out before the person is even finished explaining the situation. So as James says we need to be willing to listen to others (and in particular listen properly) and take time before we speak to allow ourselves to process the information and provide the best advice, input and potential solution as possible.

SB

No comments:

Challenging Thought

How do I commit to spending time in God's precsence, even when i am 'busy'? What am I doing to live up to God's expectation of me?

Prayer Requests

  • Spiritually lead & focused coaches who have a critical role in the development of their athletes.
  • Athletes participating around the world in various sporting feats. That they do it not for personal clory but for glory of God
  • All soccer / football players coming to South Africa in just over a month's time for the FIFA 2010 World Cup
  • Focused Godly Athletes
  • Guidance and Grace to all Athletes on all levels in their training
  • MORE ATHLETES THROUGH THIS BLOG CAN SHARE THEIR TESTIMONIES
  • Praise God for the unbelievable performances, the dedication & perserverance of our Paralympians

Book Review Corner

We will be soon reviewing books read and share any key thoughts found and identified.

So watch this space!